Saturday, March 13, 2010

Product Review: Baby Skin Care Products

I have always been an ardent fan of Johnson's baby products; however, recently I had to change my opinion. In fact a change in climate made me realise their quality; check out the following quick review:
Johnson's baby soap: It nothing better than a regular soap; I found Pears more gentle as when the climate became cold and dry, Johnson's baby soap dried my skin even more. Even Dove was gentler. So thumbs down! I would recommend not to try on your baby if he/she has a sensitive skin.
Johnson's hair oil: Better don't try! Pure olive oil or virgin coconut oil are far far better options. Thumbs down again!
Johnson's talc: I would say - Never try it on babies; instead the homeopathic talc "Belacalendula" seemed to keep the diaper area more dry and clean and was highly effective in treating rashes. However, Johnson's talc seems to be good for adults - please not on face!!- maybe the underarm area for those who sweat a lot.
Johnson's baby oil: I was in a bubble world trying to make myself believe that its so gentle and good for skin - but NO! use it as a makeup remover. Anytime I would go for almond oil, virgin coconut oil or even our very own olive oil. Better not to use on your baby!
Johnson's baby milk cream: Useless!! what remains is the strong fragrance.
Johnson's baby moisturising lotion: Another product which I thought was awesome - "just thought" - it was never awesome and didn't even keep my skin or the baby's skin moisturised for more than 5 mins. Also again the strong smell!

Kerala had a pleasant climate till Feb 2010 first week. When we arrived in Dombivli, it was cooler and the climate was drying up mine and Sarah's skin despite of using Johnson's baby moisturiser in generous amounts. To top that, Sarah started getting a dry skin condition and she got dry rashes on her body here and there. Once a while she used to get a small rash and it would go. The doctor told that it was a fungal infection, which I refused to believe - Little did I know that it was a dry skin condition caused by the use of Johnson's baby soap and lotion!

How did I find out that both the regular Johnson's soap and lotion were the culprits?
I happened to trip across an Ayurvedic store (Omved) in a mall, which sold baby products and chemical-free stuff. I got an Omved baby soap for her, even though the price was 270 INR, just because the list of ingredients showed only natural stuff like almond oil, honey and saffron and saponified vegetable oil.

SURPRISE! SURPRISE! this soap is thus far the best soap I have come across - it smelt heavenly and had a creamy texture (as that of dove) with not much of fluffy foam (as generated for Johnson's baby soap). Sarah's skin did not dry off fast and appeared moisturised.

The search for a better moisturiser
My sister-in-law used "Efatop" ointment for keeping her baby's bottom rash free. I checked out the ingredients and found out that it had olive oil; so decided to give it a try. Also, I found that none of the usual Indian moisturisers were keeping my feet moist for longer periods of time. Thanks to Poonam who recommended me to try "Efaderm" ointment by Galderma Laboratories.

I got both these creams - and again, I made a great great discovery of a great moisturising cream "Efaderm."

Just a small dollop of Efaderm after bath, when smoothened across her hands and legs, kept the moisture locked in Sarah's skin and even it did wonders for my dry skin on hands and legs. I even tried using it on my face - it was a bit oily but still kept my skin supple.

Efatop, on the other hand, was an OK option - I was more satisfied with Efaderm. I would not mind using Efatop if my Efaderm ran out of stock

So Omved and Efaderm saved my baby - Surprisingly, the minor dry skin condition that she had cleared within a day of use of these two products - I am thoroughly delighted! Needless to say, I would get these for me too.

Also note that you can get Efaderm from the chemists, and it is mainly used for curing dry skin conditions of sensitive skin - also the no. of chemical ingredients is far less than any baby product currently available in the Indian market. So that shows that it is milder than the rest of so-called "gentle baby products." Omved soap is available only at Omved outlets and stores spread mainly across Mumbai and sparsely across India. The good news is that they have a store in Cochin.

Sorry Johnsons! I am chucking you..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok ok lemme try these 4 Bubbly. By ny chance could u send me some sample sachets..lol

Donna said...

Eh!! I am not marketing them!