Friday, March 12, 2010

The Fate of Alpenliebe and Wriggleys in India

15 years back, I rememeber that during my childhood, my aunt and uncle from US used to get Alpenliebes and Wriggleys chewing gums on their visits to India - was it because these were the highlights of their life in US or because they were cheaper when brought in bulk?; that time, these were like treasures for us to show off before our friends and we cousins used to fight over them - till death (but no one died).

Today, in India, I dont think even the street kid would be obsessed of owing an Alpenliebe or a batch of Wriggleys. They are so cheap (say 25 paise for one tofee of alpenliebe, that too we have different flavors) and easily available. And, I am sick of its butterscotch flavor, eventhough I wouldn't mind eating a cake or icecream instead. Alpenliebe is indeed a cheaper option when you would want to distribute sweets to all at your workplace or even classroom.

And Wriggleys - I think no one even wants them, except smokers.

No comments: