Tuesday, February 19, 2008

My brother who loved stones

This happened when he was in junior KG. My brother steven always had a fetish for stones. Read ahead.

Prologue: One day evening, my mother notices some colorful object in my nose while cuddling him. It was a piece of crayon that he had inserted into his nose. Soon, the environment of our home changed. Frantic calls to the doctor and then catching a rickshaw to the hospital. The doctor finally managed to extirpate it. Sighs of relief. This happened when he was a little more than two years.

Scene 1: Brother returns from school and then takes a nap. I usually clean his ears using buds during that time. When I was cleaning one of his ears, the bud scraped on some hard object in the ear. My brother jumps up in pain and starts hitting me!!! and on top of that starts screaming.
As usual mom comes running and starts beating me up - I tell her that there is something in his ear. Mom turns to him "what???!!!!!!!!" What did you put in your ear?" Brother lies "I didnt put anything" After long hours of questioning, he admits the following: "While I was sleeping in my classroom during recess time, one stone rolled and got into my ear! I did'nt do anything"
We took him to a small clinic. The doctor takes the forceps and advances towards him. He jumps out of the table and runs out of the clinic. I catch hold of him and pull him back to the clinic.

Scene 2: This is my favorite. The doctor asks the two nurse out there to hold his hands and legs and to keep him still. My brother starts behaving hysterically as if everyone is going to kill him. He starts screaming and crying and throwing his arms and legs and starts turning his head randomly.

Scene 3: Doctor calls for help from me and my mother. We hold him. Still he continues his antics with greater force.

Scene 4: This is the best!!! There were two patients and their relatives in the waiting room. They are also requested to join. Mission: To keep the little boy still. Somehow, we (around eight of us) succeed in reducing the frequency of his motions and finally he is still. The doctor advances and takes the stone (which was the size of a gooseberry seed - my mother is almost shocked at the sight of it) out of his ear. YAY! he stops crying and everybody is happy!

Next week!
Brother returns from school and then takes a nap. When I was about to clean one of his ears, I just peeped into it just incase (i found a stone). I saw some shiny object. I call my mother and tell her that there is something in his ear. Mom turns to him "what???!!!!!!!!"Again?" She wakes him up and asks "What did you put in your ear?" Brother lies "I didnt put anything" After long hours of questioning, he admits the following (with the classical puss-in-boots expression): "I was playing during recess time and I threw up some stones and held it using my ear by tilting my head - I think it happened that time"

This time the little dude was luckier becos he was taken to a bigger hospital since the small clinic rejected him becos they couldn't see the stone - it had moved far inside the ear. He was taken to a bigger hospital and they anesthetized him to take out the stone.

Final scene: My mother making fun of my brother "Hey stev, the people nearby are building house - would you like to give them some stones from your side?"

No comments: