Saturday, February 23, 2008

Motherhood

To be a mother makes a woman complete. I scare at the thought of being a mother. I wonder if I would be able to be effectively do my responsibilities as a mother. I donnow if i am still mentally prepared to be a mom; I am surprised to see young women (20 ish) getting married bearing kids and then bearing more kids. Looking after kids is like devoting yourself 24/7 for someone. Every mother does that. My mother also did that. I never asked her if she was scared to have a baby.

One of my friends used to tell me that she wants to have kids as soon as she gets married. I told her that I don't want to have kids. She scolded me by saying that you don't want to be complete as a woman, as a wife etc. I would like to have four kids - I know it sounds outrageous - two is boring, three is crowd and four is fun !!! Its easy to say this - but bearing four kids sounds as a gargantuan task.

My sister-in-law gave birth to twins and I wonder how she, mom and dad managed with the babies. When I saw the babies, they were seven months. they constantly needed the attention of others and since the house was filled with adults, they seemed to get it. They drink milk, sleep, wake up, smile or cry - then back to sleep and we have to cuddle them or sing a sweet lullaby so that they will sleep. And this was like an ongoing process - sleep, cry, wakeup, drink, susu, change, sleep, cry, wakeup, drink, susu, change; What I noticed was that they were two and their timings never synchronized. For instance, one would cry for milk and the other would cry for sleep. One would sleep and the other would be ready for playing. PHEW!!! I got tired seeing this (just seeing this!!!). But, I like to cuddle them and give them milk and click their pics. Even though one of them looked with some kinda weird expression at me - she hardly slept in my arms. Maybe I had bony hands or she was not comfortable with the idea of clicking pics every now and then.
I thot of discarding the idea of having quadruplets. Wouldn't it be a disaster if I am not mentally prepared to handle them??
I would have babies only when I am mentally prepared to handle them. Else, I won't be doing justice to myself and the kids as a mom or a homemaker. In fact, I just can't handle myself (child woman I am :P) ... err how will I handle more???? I hope that soon the grow out of this scary cocoon where I am scared of the very thought of having kids. Its not like this all the time; sometimes, i break off the cocoon and have pangs to carry a baby and it suddenly diminishes!!
I love babies and I love their sweet smell. I love their burps and their toothless grins. But! Damn!! why am I scared of being a mother??? (irony)

Quote: From my doctor colleague "Some women are too weak that they can't push the baby out and we have to push for them!!!! Can you believe this??"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

chechikku pattannu kochu undayal ennikum stevenum pettannu ammachanmar akam.pinee babies okke ullathu alle oru rasam.

Lynn Cross said...

I have given birth to five children. I would not trade them for all the riches in the world. At the end of my life I perhaps will not remember the accomplishments of my life, the money I made, or the places that I went, but I will know that I invested in the next generation, not just my self. Being a mother is the hardest thing I have ever done, not the birth thing, but giving of oneself in order to raise Godly children. Everything pales in comparison. It is wonderful to now have a friend all the way across the world. Lynn