Thursday, April 22, 2010

To let go

I came across an excellent movie review of "A Serious Man" by my friend and ex-collegue Rajiv in Cacteye, my previous office magazine.
In fact, I must say that it was an eye-opener for me and I learnt a valuable lesson from it. I know you might find this quite contrasting to my previous post but this is worth sharing with everyone.

Check out the following excerpt from his review:

This movie raises numerous questions about life, its purpose, faith, etc., but does not
provide any answers. Everybody can relate to Larry’s character since he is the epitome
of the everyday working class human being.
Some of you may find this movie bland, serious, and abrupt. But so is life sometimes.
Bland, serious, and abrupt! And life definitely does not give you any answers. Critics
would say the movie parallels the story of the Jewish Biblical character called Job,
who was put through catastrophic events by God just so that He could prove to Satan
that Job would not loose his faith, despite the hardships. Larry Gopnik faces such
similar horrifying situations in his life and he tries his best to gain control of it. The
truth is you are never in control. Larry never was. Probably the solution would have
been to simply “let go.” That’s Zen philosophy for you. The solution to all, which the
movie subtly suggests. Which also reminds us of the Taoist story of an old farmer,
who would simply maintain his composure and reply “We’ll see,” to his neighbors whenever
they would applaud him on a certain good occurrence or convey their sympathies
during desolate times. The farmer never reacted to anything stating “this too would
pass.”


Surprisingly, you may find yourself similar to Larry in trying times - where you try to take control of the hardest situations and end up devastated because you cannot do anything about it - and the best solution is - to LET it GO!

This doesnt mean that I never knew that we should just not take life so seriously for worldly issues, be it a hard or easy one to get along with. The truth: practising this thought "appears to be" hard because I was taking things quite seriously for a major part of my life time. Suddenly when I am asked not to take problems seriously, I screw up big time.

But, when I started letting go of "MAJOR" issues that affect me, for which I cannot find a solution, I end up having a more beautiful and positive perspective on life. So I would want to let go of every incident, be it happy or sad from now at least for my well-being.

Also a beautiful status message by Suneethi on Gmail: Be thankful that you don't already have everything you desire. If you did, what would there be to look forward to?

And yes! this reminds how thankless I am for my wonderful life to God!

2 comments:

kabhilan said...

That's a good one. We don't have control over what happens to us, but we definitely do have control over how we react to it... and that's tough to practise, but worth every bit of it, I think. I have to watch that movie now :)

Donna said...

yeah me - i too have not seen the movie - found the review thought provoking and practise worthy

i react like an idiot to crisis most of the time