Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Branded for less

Long back itself, I had stopped buying clothes from street shops. When you are earning just 3000 INR, street shops can help, but then quality suffers big time. A 100 rs top can survive only maybe one wash, if lucky 4-5 washes. Branded clothes straight from the store always were overpriced for me. I mean I would not buy a simple kurtha for 700 -1000 rs from FabIndia store just like that.

The best part of branded clothing is the quality and stitching - and to top it, the comfort in wearing. Local shops sell stuff that do not have enough sizes or the material will be cheap and biting into the skin - At least, this is what I have learnt from my shopping experience. However, branded stuff in their original pricing may not appeal you after you have worn and washed it. Say a 1800 kurtha - if it doesnt look like one, then what is the point buying it - however, you would have been happier if the kurtha came for 300 rs.

Here comes those stores that sell old stock branded clothes for 1/4 th the original price or less. For instance, you can buy an Allen Solly tunic, which originally costs 1800, for 450 Rs at such stores. I love such stores - it is like you are getting stuff giving almost the right value for money. The only problem is that you will have to search diligently with patience to get the right cloth and right size sans any damage.

In Mumbai, I found the Loot Store in Metro junction, where I picked 3 Liliput and Disney princess dresses for Sarah for just 300 rs - but of course, after a long search. But then, whenever I visit Kalyan, I do check out the stuff in Loot mart and thus far, there has not been a bad buy.

Viva store in Mota Royal Arcade, Brigade road has a great, well-arranged collection of all sorts of clothes - the prices start from 150 and above. Last day, I got two branded tunic tops for me and three colorful pants and a top for Sarah in 1200 rs. I am delighted. I think anyone who is on budget and shopping in Bangalore should check for this store.

No comments: