Friday, May 27, 2011

Do you need them? Do they need you?

Last day while speaking with my friend, we came across a situation where relatives or "friends" back out from functions that are important to us. The next reaction is we feel sad and surprised that how can they not choose to be part of this event that matters to us?

Fret not! This is that important process of life which filters out the dirt - which refers to the shallow namesake relationships. Consider the following clarifications:

  • I am her friend, but I cannot support her when she is in crisis. I have my life. Let her deal with it.
  • I am his aunt, but no way I am going for his marriage because he did not invite me the way I am supposed to be.
Let us ask ourselves - Do we need such a friend or aunt? Are they worth keeping for?

Everyone has their own personal choices - some will say: this is family, we need to keep them. Some will reply with an outright "NO, I don't need them."

Personally, I would not want such baggage. Life is too short to be wasted worrying on them. Move on - this does not mean shun them, abuse them, and kick them out. Keep a healthy distance where they cannot take over your emotions - move on emotionally. And trust me, this is the hard part. But it definitely gives you that balance you need to keep with regard to such relationships.

No comments: