Monday, May 30, 2011

2 years of motherhood

Motherhood has been a very exciting and overwhelming experience for me. If anyone asks me now, Sarah is like the light of my life. Now during my stint in motherhood, I came across a series of "pet peeves" - unfortunately I have allowed for them to a certain extent, but now I strongly believe that there are certain areas where anyone who is not part of the child-caring process do not have a say. I am sure that most of the mothers out there, especially in India, have faced such instances, which would have left them bitter or drained. So check them out:

  • "You have to do this, so that the baby is this or he/she feels like this: - Whenever you come across someone who starts their conversation like this, first, see if this person has a child. Yes, then you can try giving an ear, but I would not suggest you take that advice unless it makes sense. For instance, when the talking person is your mom or mother-in-law, yeah i agree, you need to respect, but you don't have to listen to useless advice nor implement it for their happiness.
  • Superstitious bullcrap - I someone tries to impose their superstitions on baby care, run away from them, stay away from them, unless you are prepared to ignore it effectively without a tinge of stress - dude! this is not the 1950s!!
  • Dont allow anyone to abuse you in front of the baby. Stay away. You don't want your child growing up hearing all this nonsense and humiliation and if you think it does not affect the baby, you are absolutely wrong. Well, i am a living example of someone who came out of a hostile home environment. When I look back, I dont feel guilty, but I feel very frustrated regarding what situation I was put into with no fault of mine. It did me good though; I became independent and responsible in life. But it deteriorated a lot of my problem-solving skills and I grew up to become very emotionally frail. So if you are going through abuse, be it emotional or physical, do not expose your child to it - he/she absolutely does not deserves this. You would not want her child looking to her friend's home and thinking why it is not the same in her/his home.
Always remember all babies are unique in their own ways, habits, behavior patterns, etc. Mother still remains the primary caretaker, so no one knows what is best for the baby other than the mother. It is important to educate yourself - I take tips from other mothers, and I Google for home remedies, tips and other information.

No comments: