Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Senseless Censorship

Last night I happened to see the critically acclaimed movie "Rosemary's Baby." I do not like scary movies - the gore, blood, dirty zombies, etc. Surprisingly, this movie did not have much gore to feel nauseated.

Nowadays, most of the films aired in the English movie channels in India are "supercensored". Even the french kisses will show both the parties approaching, and bam!! it is over.

So, there is the infamous dream sequence where a demon rapes Rosemary - it was completely cut. I mean I was not sad that I missed that part, but I couldn't even see the devil. So, it was like both myself and Rosemary were clueless regarding the fate of the child she was carrying till the final scene, the climax.

In this movie, the devil actually arrives from the hell and rapes Rosemary. She is being drugged; so she is not aware of this. However, she dreams of some demon raping her instead. In fact, the entire movie she keeps doubting if her husband and her old neighbors are into witchcraft and are using her. Even we follow the same track of witchcraft till the last scene. But this is like a bigger mess - I mean Witchcraft is less serious a trouble when compared to an association with the DEVIL himself!!!

When the old woman Minnie screams "Look at him - he has his father's eyes" - I guess there were two people who were shocked - one was Rosemary herself and the other one was me. Well this post wont make any sense unless you see this movie on an Indian English movie channel.

What to say - the climax of the movie was doubly shocking - the spawn of Satan himself!!! - and guess what!? they did not show the baby!! - they cut that scene too - I mean do they really show the baby in that movie? If so, who is the great mind that censored this scene??? All other Indian viewers like me, who are seeing this movie for the first time yesterday, might be wondering of what was so damn scary in that thriller.

....In the first place, why did they air this movie?

No comments: